Saturday, October 6, 2012

Maynard Fest!

On my way to CVS for some stuff, I was surprised that downtown was closed off and that there was no parking. Maynardfest! Maynard Octoberfest was probably too long for the signs. Typically, there is a bunch of vendors selling cheap stuff that go to all the local Fests, and a caterpillar ride. That's about it. Later, after the Farmer's Market clears out (the last of the season!), the Clock Tower Place parking lot will be closed off, an entry fee will be charged, and the Bier part of Maynard Fest will begin in earnest. Then and only then will it be called Oktoberfest. I plan not to be there for it. Bud Light in a plastic cup is the highest quality bier typically sold at it, and at a 400% markup.

Meanwhile, the Maynard Door & Window people typically hang out in front of their place right across the street. They serve better beer, but only to their customers, for free. They also use plastic cups. I'm not going to that either.

That pedestrian bridge across the Assabet replaced the railway bridge, which was 10 feet higher. The railway last ran in 1939, and given that there are no longer any tracks, except in a few remote places, it's a good thing they haven't started it back up.


Nason and Main. Compare with yesterday's picture.



A caterpillar ride at rest tends to remain at rest until acted on by parents paying too much money.



The caterpillar ride loves America.




The local high school team has the same species mascot as my grad school.


The tower of Clock Tower Place.


I did! I did! I did come join the fun!